What caused Amy Winehouse’s tragic death in her hotel room Saturday?
[photogallerylink id=51896 align=right]
Amy Winehouse finally turned her signature song (“Rehab”) into the most tragically ironic statement in pop music history, when she was found dead in her London home on Saturday. She was 27 years old.
There’s no word yet on the cause of death, but everyone in the known universe is assuming it was an overdose of some kind. Police won’t confirm that, but they said there are no signs of foul play.
One of Amy’s reps said she was found in her bed by one of her security people, who was trying to wake her from a nap.
The not-always-reliable British tabloids say Amy was out partying and buying drugs the night before her death. Those drugs allegedly included cocaine, heroin, ecstasy and ketamine, which is used as a horse tranquilizer.
Some friends have also suggested that Amy was drinking heavily. And she suffered from emphysema, which could have worsened the effects of any substances she was ingesting. Amy made her last public appearance on Thursday . . . hopping onstage during a performance by her goddaughter Dionne Bromfield. She didn’t perform . . . she just kind of danced a little, then hugged Dionne and left.
In May, she returned to rehab for what was believed to be the fourth time. But just a few weeks ago, she got loaded before a show in Serbia, and ended up being booed off the stage.
Maybe she should have just went to rehab instead of making up a song about it…But she was an amazing artist and will be missed.