Life is full of those awkward little moments. They usually don’t ruin your entire day, and in most cases they don’t even inconvenience you at all. But when they happen…they are just so, so painfully awkward.
Here are some of those little moments that most of us have experienced at one point or another:
1. Fist-bumping a high-five – and vice versa
This one is mainly for the guys. But anyone can witness such a moment between two people and cringe. One person just needs to hold strong and make the other person switch their hand! Unless they both do that…
2. Pretending not to see someone you know walking down a long hallway
If you work in a large building you have come across this little moment before. You see someone you know, but they’re way too far away to say hi. So instead of screaming “HEY!” as it echoes down the hall, you look around and pretend not to see them until they are a comfortable distance away. This is a daily occurrence here at Mix, where most of the hallways are long and narrow.
3. Asking someone to pay back money they owe
This is always something you’d rather not deal with when living with roommates. We all want our roommates to just pay their bills on time, or pay you back the $20 you spotted them that night, without having to ask. But sometimes you have to remind them. And it’s usually awkward because it’s over a relatively small amount of money.
4. Saying hi to a stranger in the grocery store, and seeing them again
This one usually starts out fine. You’re just being friendly, smiling and saying hi to a complete stranger you happen to make eye contact with in the bread aisle. But then you see that same stranger again in another aisle, and “Hi!” turns into “…Uhhh, hi.” And if it happens a third time…forget about it. Peak awkwardness reached.
5. Making eye contact with a stranger over and over
Along the lines of the poor stranger in the grocery store, you really don’t want to make eye contact with the same stranger more than once. If it happens over and over again and you don’t end up striking up a conversation with the person then you just become a creeper.
6. Answering a question from someone who was actually on a bluetooth headset
Person on bluetooth: “So are you free tonight?”
You: “Yeah! How about you?”
Person on bluetooth: “Hold on a second honey…excuse me, did you say something?”
And then you hang your head in shame.
7. Clogging the toilet – at a friend’s house
Jerry Seinfeld once perfectly described this as “the most frightening moment in the life of a human being”. You flush the toilet and the water starts going…up. This is especially frightening if you’re at a party or some other event where other people are waiting to use the bathroom. The definition of “panic mode”.
8. Walking by someone on the street and not figuring out which side to take
If you walk outside or down sidewalks often, you’ve encountered this situation. You’re going straight at a person coming the opposite way, and one of you needs to go one way while the other goes the opposite way. Sometimes you go the same way…and awkwardness ensues.
BONUS: Passive-aggressive notes from friends or co-workers are always an awkward situation too. If you’re the victim of one, you’re being called right out for something you did and it’s often in front of a lot of other people. Karson & Kennedy discovered one right in the Mix 104.1 kitchen and had differing opinions on the ethics of using someone else’s salad dressing…
MORE FROM KARSON & KENNEDY:
- Daily Dirty: DWTS Update, Blac Chyna & Tyga’s Sex Tape, and Sinead O’Connor’s Shade Toward Prince
- Insight Into The Little League Coaching Techniques of Our Music Director Mike Mullaney
- Popping The Question In A Car, Good Idea? Bad Idea?
- Should Maternity Leave Be Given To People Without Kids?
- War of the Roses Marathon: Return of the Ex?