by Alisha Jackson
During this week in 2001, Destiny’s Child let us know we weren’t ready for this jelly when they hit number one with the infectious dance hit “Bootylicious.” Can you handle this?
Check out our throwback tidbits about the song below!
1. The song samples Stevie Nicks’ “The Edge of Seventeen.”
To this day, we can never tell which song is about to play when we hear that classic guitar riff.
2. Kelly Rowland can’t stand the song.
(Photo by Matthew Peyton/Getty Images)
Guess Kelly can’t handle this. Rowland has said that “Bootylicious” is the Destiny’s Child song that irritates her the most. “Sometimes I’ll go into (U.K. fashion retailer) Topshop or be at the airport and that song will play and I’ll go, ‘Nooooooo!'”
3. There was a remix featuring Missy Elliot.
Show of hands – who has heard this version?! If you didn’t raise your hand, you’re not alone.
4. The music video is filled with Michael Jackson dance moves.
Moves from “Billie Jean,” “Thriller,” “Beat It,” “Bad,” and “The Way You Make Me Feel” can be seen in the music video.
5. Destiny’s Child performed the song at Michael Jackson’s 30th Anniversary Special.
Watch their amazing tribute to MJ above!
Those are your Throwback Tidbits for the 2001 hit, “Bootylicious”! Check back next Thursday for a brand new #TBT!